
The time is at hand to admit… I had never read this book until now. This was my first! I have seen many cartoons, movies and plays retelling this classic story, and though it was hard to read without picturing Scrooge McDuck, Jimmy Cricket and all the rest of the Disney gang (Truth be told, the characters did fit! How scary is that!!), the book is always better.
Once I put the cartoon aside I loved reading Dickens’s words. His descriptions are vivid and fun and there is really nothing like the way he can tell a story. All through out my reading I kept thinking of the Christmas song: "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year." One specific line…
There'll be parties for hosting
Marshmallows for toasting
And caroling out in the snow
There'll be scary ghost stories
And tales of the glories
of Christmases long, long ago
Is this linked to Dickens? Who really tells ghost stories if not. Regardless, I liked the connection. “A Christmas Carol” is a classic and a tradition for a reason.
1 comment:
THis is the book we are reading for book group this month! And I really should get to reading it because our book group is Wednesday Night, yikes!
Glad to hear you enjoyed it.
Post a Comment