Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Secret Life of Bees

by Sue Monk Kidd


I really enjoyed this book

My sister-in-law has been telling me to read it for a while, but bees mixed with civil rights didn't tempt me. For some reason I saw it and bought it anyway. Once I saw that the movie was coming out, I had to read it first. I hate when I read a book with the character/actors already in my head, but this time wasn't awful.

I did have to look past the worship of a statue/honey combination. My attention was held the entire book, I thought about advice that had been given through out my day. I liked the characters and the relationships they developed. I thought it was well written. Towards the end it became quite suspenseful but then it was over. I didn't like how it ended. I wasn't ready for it to be done. I still have unanswered questions or maybe just interest in what happens next.

My favorite quote to sum it up would have to be from Lily. "Nobody is perfect. You just have to close your eyes and breathe out and let the puzzle of the human heart be what it is."

No comments: