Sunday, October 26, 2008

Unanswered Prayers

Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers...

This will age me, but remember this song? Garth Brooks?


It was huge. I was in high school, senior year to be exact. I remember talking to my good friend about the message in the song. He didn't agree with it. He was sure that Heavenly Father would answer any and all prayers. I knew that sometimes the answer was no, which meant the same as unanswered.

I don't know why I continue to recall this conversation. Maybe it is because in the back of my mind I wanted to believe that Heavenly Father would ALWAYS answer my prayers, the way I wanted Him to.

Over the years He has answered all of my prayers and five times out of ten the answer was no. Then He gave me gifts I never asked for but desperately needed.

As I look back on the blessings thus far in my life, the gifts I have been given and the lessons I have learned, I do know that some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.

1 comment:

Joseph Weed said...

Oh yes I know this well! Many of the greatest gifts in my life were the prayers that didn't happen and the blessings I never asked for.