Thursday, July 24, 2008

Cool Couscous Salad

I know look at me go with another recipe! This is suppose to be a blog for me to vent and express myself. *sigh* I feel like all I do lately is vent. Vent and plan menus and cook food... So to make it fun, I have been searching for healthy, easy and "cool" recipes. I am not in the mood to slave over a hot stove or add additional heat by using the oven. It has been too hot, not that I am complaining, I LOVE summer! This salad will refresh on even the hottest of days! I combined 2 different recipes, to get this super easy and super yummy, Mediterranean type Couscous Salad.


Ingredients
2/3 Cup Water
1/2 Cup uncooked Couscous
2/3 Cup Garbanzo beans or Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 Cup seeded, chopped Cucumbers
1/2 Cup chopped Tomatoes
1/4 Cup chopped Orange Peppers
1/4 Cup chopped Yellow Peppers
1/2 Cup chopped Spinach
1/2 Cup (prepared) Balsamic Vinaigrette (+ a wee bit more)
1/3 Cup Crumbled Feta Cheese (or less)

Directions
In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in couscous. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5-10 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork; cover and refrigerate. In a medium bowl, combine the beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, spinach, feta and couscous. Pour dressing over mixture and toss to coat.

You can serve it immediately, but I like to refrigerate it over night. Before serving you may want to add a wee bit more dressing.

So Yummy! My kids even liked it! Oh wait! My kids are NOT picky eaters... But my mother in-law is and she said it was "OK" - that is HUGE!! Yeahoo!

No comments: