Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn
So here it is, my first official book review!
I am not a sci-fi, fantasy lover. I had no desire to read any of the books in the Twilight series. A co-worker of AT’s decided I was missing out and sent the first book home with him. I have to admit, I didn’t hate this series but I didn’t love it either. I would NOT recommend this book to teenagers, but for adults looking for an easy distraction, give it a go.
SPOILER ALERT!! IF YOU WANT TO READ THESE BOOKS, YOU MAY NOT WANT TO READ BELOW!!!

Here is what I didn’t like:
1) Edward and Bella’s relationship seems pretty superficial. They are completely obsessed with one another and yet Bella never felt secure in the relationship. Since this was geared toward teens, it made me cringe. I didn’t like how needy Bella was to everyone around her.
2) I got SO tired of hearing how beautiful the “perfect marble like” vampires were. They are amazing! We got it!
3) Over and over we read about all of the sacrifices Bella would have to make to enter the immortal world. I assumed these would be the focus in the 4th book, but no. She ended up getting all she ever wanted, plus some.
4) I realize this was a fictional book, but I also thought it would end a bit more realistic. Through out book 1-3 Stephanie tried to make it seem almost possible to live in a make believe world. That all ended in book 4. (A baby. Seriously?)
Stephenie has a great writing style, although some things you could see coming (werewolves, imprinting, beauty etc). I read all 4 books in a month and a half, very curious to see where she would take it next. Reading this book was a bit like watching cartoons for me, something to do, I didn’t have to think and for the most part it was intriguing. I have had extra down time due to some health issues, so I was grateful to have the distraction.
In the end, I felt like the moral was to be needy and obsessed and give up your entire life for someone you fall in love with at 18, it doesn’t matter how crushed your family might be. Just be as selfish as possible and hurt everyone around you. It will all work out fine and you will become beautiful, rich and have blissful sex all night long. You’ll even get a perfect child who behaves like an angel. Everyone lives happily ever after. Talk about a fantasy!
Flickr Thanks - Twilight Lover
No comments:
Post a Comment